Saturday, April 5, 2008

Bountiful Baskets


If you live in the Phoenix Metro area and you haven't checked out BountifulBaskets.org, you should! It's a non-profit produce co-op that purchases large amounts of produce from a local warehouse that supplies restaurants and grocery stores. The produce is then divided among the participants at locations throughout the valley. The co-op runs every other Saturday.

You pay for your share on the Wednesday before the Saturday delivery, and Saturday morning, you show up at the pick up site with a laundry basket in hand to "harvest" your share of the produce, which is normally half fruits and half vegetables, and roughly equivalent to about $50 worth of produce. The cost to you is $17.50!

In addition to the produce, they've recently had fresh bread available from Alpine Valley Bread Company. I usually order 6 loaves of whole wheat bread each time, and we still run out occasionally. There are other items or "offerings" available at different times. In the past, I've ordered almonds, See's chocolates, a case of Utah peaches, and Artisan bread. They've even had local honey, olive oil from the Queen Creek Olive Mill, and fresh cheeses. There's also a waitlist for a side of fresh, hormone and antibiotic-free beef.

The co-op also has recipes on the website that correlate with the produce from that week, and a message board for members to share ideas and recipes, ask questions, cyber garage sale your stuff, and advertise your small business. Through the message board, I was able to meet a really nice woman who helped me can my case of peaches. How amazing is that?!

So if you're looking to add more produce to your diet or just trying to save some money, look into it!

7 comments:

The Shane Gang said...

Wow! What a bounty! I never participated in that when we lived there, but I wish I would have! You've arranged them so pretty. I looked at the "Stuff I made" link. Did you make that breast card? Too funny!!

Kayla said...

I am totally glad that you sharing this info. you had said somthing about it to me befor and I have been meaning to get the info from you. Thanks for making it easy for me:)

Matthew Taylor said...

Ummm... hello? Martha... Martha Stewart is that you?

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

I am still laughing from Matthew's comment. : ) I wish we had something like that here.

Natalie said...

Hey, step off, Matthew! It truly is "a good thing"!! You're just jealous you can't buy produce in bulk at an awesome discount too!

Tilleea said...

Sold! I've heard about it, but to see it is more amazing. Thanks for the info!

Taylor Tree said...

i like the way that sounds.
btw, your last post cracked me up.