Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I dig gardening!

I can't believe it! We already have apricots growing! This tree was so tiny when I bought it last spring at Costco, I really didn't expect anything from it for several years.

This is the lemon tree. This will be the first year we get lemons. We planted another lemon tree at our last house, but we moved right before the tree produced anything. I think being able to grow citrus in your own backyard is AWESOME!

And can you believe it? Grapes! We planted these a few years back and have never really harvested anything, but then we haven't really taken care of them either. They're fun to watch because they grow like crazy and come back after the frost. I think the kids picked all the grapes off too early last year.

We also have peas, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, birdhouse gourds, and several varieties of flowers sprouting.

Now, if we can just keep the kids from picking everything before it's ripe...

6 comments:

Matthew Taylor said...

Your garden sounds totally fun, and I am totally jealous.

What the heck is a birdhouse gourd?

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

Yeah I am jealous. We have snow on the ground right now. : ( Hey, I still have carrots in the ground from last summer...does that count?

Natalie said...

A birdhouse gourd is a big ol' gourd that you can dry out and cut a hole in to make birdhouses, not that I actually see that happening. I thought they might be interesting to watch grow.

Nancy, last year I keep trying to figure out what the tasteless herb I had growing in the corner was. I finally went to pull it up in the fall and realized it was a million little carrots all squished together!

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

That is so funny. I can just imagine you making a casserole and adding some of your tasteless herb. Aren't carrots amazing? You plant these tiny little seeds, (Matthew and I have no idea where carrot seeds come from) and then you get tons of carrots that grow like crazy. I told Matthew that I have the most fun eating my homemade carrots than anything else.

Taylor Tree said...

carrots are my favorite too!!!
natatlie i love your blog. almost all of the entries have made me laugh or at least smile.

Tilleea said...

I want a garden! I'll trade you tech services for your green thumb! Okay I don't know how to text, but when I find out I'll let you know.