Tuesday, April 15, 2008

There's no use crying over spilt milk...

It was a rough day today, and tonight while trying to get Zachary to finish his homework (which was like pulling teeth, by the way), Noah asked for a cup of milk. I went to put it on the table, and at that exact moment Noah moved his arm, spilling the milk all over the table, all over Zachary's school folder, and all over the disciplinary note that was sent home by Zach's teacher. (Remember, I said it was a tough day...)

Anyhow, it was kind of the final straw and despite that saying about spilled milk, I burst into tears while I mopped it all up.

Zachary started whining about his folder and Noah, thinking he was in trouble, asked if he still was going to get milk now.

Then Zachary said, "Gee, Mom, you don't have to cry. Can't you just make a mad face like you always do?"

Apparently not, because sometimes you've just gotta cry when the milk gets spilled.

And what's with that dumb saying anyhow?

Tell you what, if you've ever gone through the humiliation of using a plastic suctioning device to desperately milk yourself like a cow just so you can leave your sweet, but colicky baby with a sitter for your first night out in months, only to knock that milk over when you went to put the lid on the bottle, spilling it all over the floor - you know there's nothing you can do but cry about it sometimes.

Duh.

Boy, I'm glad we're past that stage.

Well, except for the fact that now we're in the "Assertive Discipline Notice" stage.

6 comments:

Taylor Tree said...

wait a second...i thought you said that zachary's an angel at school. what's up with these notes?

Matthew Taylor said...

You crack me up!

Katie J. Layton said...

You seriously need to have a newspaper or magazine column. Your stories crack me up and every mom can relate to them. I'm sorry it was a hard day.

Kayla said...

Nat, once again your household drama has made me laugh out loud:))) I hope your day got a little better.

JenniSue said...

Although your story made me laugh like crazy, it also made me cry. Is this what I have to look forward to? I'll just blame it on the hormones...

Jera Farnsworth said...

Can we cry over spilt water? my kids knocked over water and it got all over my new photography book and now all of the pages are stuck together! I don't think I have had the poor book for more than a month! sad!