Saturday, May 10, 2008

125,000 miles!!


My beloved car, Holly Honda, hit a big milestone the other night on the way home from the Diamondbacks game - 125,000 miles! Pretty impressive, isn't it? I pulled over and took a picture of the dashboard, but since it was night time, it didn't turn out too well:


Here's the low down on Miss Holly. She's a silver 2002 Honda Accord that we purchased in November of 2001, when Zachary was just 6 months old. In the same month, we bought our first house, and I remember being nervous about having a new baby, a new car, AND a new mortgage!

She got her name just because I liked the name Holly. We've previously owned Jane Jetta, Sammy Saturn, Pamela, the Grand Am-ela Pontiac...see the pattern?

Nate drove Holly for a couple of years and put the majority of miles on her while he worked in Phoenix. She's been in one accident, a hit and run - not his fault, of course, which she recovered quickly from:


I started driving Holly a few years back when Nate decided he needed (oh puh-lease!) a 'sportier' car. He bought a black VW Jetta, manual transmission, which now that I think about it, I can't even remember that car's name, that's how much I didn't like that car. In all the time we've owned Holly, aside from replacing the motor mounts and the accident, we can't think of any major work or problems she's had. (But don't get me started on that VW!!) Nate was so impressed by her track record, he sold his VW and bought another Honda Accord, also in silver. Hey, it's a good color!

Holly is by no means a fancy car. We kept her very basic, no power locks or windows, no cruise control. If I could go back and change that now, I probably would. (Heck, if I could install a privacy screen that rolls up and down between the front seat and back, you know, like they have in limos? I'd do that too. Wouldn't that be awesome?!)

Because she's seen her share of the road, I don't freak out too much if my kids want to stop for an ice cream cone, or if a soda gets spilled, because I have a Bissell for that. She takes a lickin' and keeps on ticking! We've dug multiple stinky sippy cups out from under her seats, and there was that incident when Nate left a dirty diaper in the trunk, during the summer, until I discovered it several days later. The scent of that mistake lingered for a while...

And the stuff you can fit in a Honda is truly amazing! For several years in a row, I hauled home the annual Christmas tree, stuffed not so gently into the trunk and through the folded down back seat. There was a trip to Home Depot that involved 6 ceiling fans and a chandelier, all in large boxes. The cashier who said there was no way all that would fit in my car - well, he was wrong! I bought a long banquet table from Costco and was worried Miss Holly had met her match, but with some hard work, it fit! I've made several trips to IKEA and purchased large bookcases, dressers, and headboards, and have even brought home a twin bed.

Every now and again, we talk about getting a bigger car for the carpool, and sadly, we even almost traded Holly in once. (It was so close, we even surrendered her keys and removed her license plate!) Fortunately, she doesn't hold it against us.

So a big thank you to you, Holly Honda, for your years of good service and reliability! And here's to another 125,000 miles!

3 comments:

Taylor Tree said...

sweet holly. good job.

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

I'm glad I am not the only one that pulls over to take pictures of how many miles my car has on it. Pretty soon Matthew's will hit 125,000 and mine will be 123,456. And of course I plan on having a camera in the car for that day.

loree2000 said...

Cute post!

Thanks for your nice comments on my blog, come back and visit any time.