Saturday, May 17, 2008

Opening up a can of worms!

Today we spent some time in the garden pulling weeds. (We still have a lot to go, but that's another day...)

Afterwards, we thought it might be fun to add some worms to our garden. Ewww...

We picked up a $3.86 styrofoam container of fresh, juicy worms in the fishing department of Walmart. The responsibility for the cup o' worms was divided accordingly - Noah was the official cup carrier for the car ride home, and Zachary was in charge of removing the lid when we got to the garden. Both kids were super excited and slightly horrified at the prospect of releasing the worms.

At first, they were too squeamish and had Nate place them in the cup or on the lid so they could drop them without touching them:


They watched them for a while...

Then got brave enough to touch them.

Eventually, the "inner boy" inside each of them came out, and soon, they were picking them up, naming them, and moving them around the garden.

We definitely got our money's worth on that little investment. They played with those poor worms for quite some time. In fact, later, when I was in another part of the yard pulling weeds, I could overhear Nate telling them in a frustrated voice,
"Put those worms DOWN!!"

6 comments:

Katie J. Layton said...

I love how they were naming them. That is precious. I love all the pictures of them. Their inner boy sure came out. How fun!

Tilleea said...

Boys, Boys, Boys. Gotta love them!

Porter Family said...

Worms!!! Gross! That's prob why you were sick on Sunday. Are you feeling better?

JenniSue said...

Natalie...I totally love all the crazy fun things you do with Zachary and Noah! Who would think that fishing worms could turn into a day of fun in a garden? Definitely not me. You totally rock!

Maria Levine said...

How cute is he? Oh the day when my little guy decides to pick up worms! Although I have to say when I was little I did that, but now no way! LOLOL!

Anonymous said...

Aw, how adorable is that? I sure miss the age of discovery I enjoyed with my kids. The g'kids are too far away to experience it with them.

SCS Cindy