Saturday, June 28, 2008

WALL-E, good 'clean' family fun


Today we took the kids to see the new Disney Pixar film WALL-E. While we were watching the previews munching our popcorn, I leaned over to Zachary and told him how our family didn't go see many movies when I was his age. Without missing a beat, he asked,

"Mom, did they even have movies when you were a kid?"

Yes, yes they did, Little Man!

In fact, I remember clearly the time my sister and I went to see the movie E.T. with our friends Laurel and Chari Flack from around the corner. Our parents made us pay for the movie tickets ourselves by selling homeade suckers to people in our neighborhood.

Boy, that does make me sound old, doesn't it?

Well, I guess I am, particularly because E.T. came out in 1982, and Drew Barrymore, who played Gertie in the film, was only 7 years old at the time.

Also, I still remember the older brother, Michael, calls the younger brother, Elliot, "Penis breath". It was shocking then, and it's still a little shocking now!

Here's a little E.T. trivia for you. Steven Spielberg originally contacted the Mars company about using M&M's candies in the film but was turned down. He then contacted Hershey's requesting permission to use Hershey's Kisses, but they opted to use Reese's Pieces instead. After the release of the movie, sales of Reese's Pieces increased by 80%! (Take THAT Mars!!)

And did you know Reese's Pieces are a candy coated, peanut flavored, sugar penuche, not actual peanut butter, AND they don't actually contain any chocolate? Yup. They're what helped me make it through the year I went without chocolate on a dare. (1991, in case anyone's interested. And I did it, too!)

But I digress. Back to the movie we saw today. It was pretty good, as are most Disney Pixar films. The main character, WALL-E was quite charming and cute (kind of like E.T. but without the inherent creepiness. Remember those long, freaky looking fingers?! "Owww-ch". Sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.)

WALL-E had a funny sidekick, an indestructible cockroach. (There was some creepiness for me there, living in Texas for a while, I had plenty of experience with larger than life insects. ) There's also a sleek, tough robot named Eve who leaves WALL-E enamored, and shaking in his boots at the same time.
The animation itself was, of course, pretty awesome. The first part of the movie was full of laughs for both children and adults alike. The middle of the movie dragged a little and I'm not sure anyone under the age of say, 12, understood the environmental message or social commentaries of the film. Heck, I'm not sure half the audience got that hint judging from the massive amounts of trash left in the theater as we left. But I guess throwing my own soda cup away doesn't exactly make me 'Miss Eco-friendly ' either, does it?

All in all, I'd give it a B+. Not a bad way to spend a hot afternoon, sitting in a cool, dark theater eating Reese's Pieces, coincidentally. And no spooky glow in the dark heart to scare all the little ones, either!

3 comments:

Matthew Taylor said...

Well, I think more than making you sound old (being around when E.T. came out), hearing that your parents made you pay for the ticket makes them sounds like penis breaths.

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

Hey, Beth and I sold suckers around the neighborhood to donate to the Humane Society. No movies for us! And theatre popcorn....what is that? Glad to hear that your kids won't have a deprived childhood like the poor Chadwick girls.

Michelle said...

Ha ~~ we have so much in common!! My kids & I *just* watched ET for about the 400th time 2 nights ago!! And I love love LOVE Drew Barrymore in that movie ~~ SUCH a cutie!!!! I still cry when it appears ET is dead, even though I know I how it ends :)

And yes, I also saw it in a theater when I was little but no, *I* didn't have to buy my own ticket, lol!!