Saturday, August 9, 2008

When in Utah...

As busy as I was at the Stampin' Up! Convention, I still found the time to stop at one of my favorite Utah hangouts - Sconecutter. Sconecutter is a chain of fast food restaurants that serves sandwiches on, you guessed it, SCONES!

There is a Sconecutter close to Taylorsville High (go Warriors!) where I attended, and I grew to love the turkey sandwiches and spicy fries served there.

(Looking back, this probably explains my lack of a prom date and my subsequent long history at Weight Watchers...but that's another post!)

I've been eating my same order at Sconecutter for the past 20 or so years whenever I happen to be visiting Utah. I always get "a turkey on white with cheese and lettuce, an order of spicy fries, and a Diet Coke".

I was actually a little shaken a few years back when I visited the location in St. George, Utah and they informed me they'd switched to Pepsi products.

PEPSI products?!!

That is so wrong. You just don't mess with tradition.

So, here's my dinner from that evening, and while I sat there, Oingo Boingo's Weird Science played, and for a moment, it was almost like I was back in high school.

(Well, except this was the location on State Street, not Redwood, and back then, I believe the trays were orange...)

Oh, and I found I can no longer eat this entire order, which is a really good sign!

My husband Nate is also a big fan of Sconecutter, so I sent a picture of my dinner to Nate on his cell phone. Remember how he was in California with the kids and his family? Well, in a jealous rage he texted back, "You suck!".

What a sweetie! I love that man!

If you are originally from Utah, or currently reside there, you already know what 'fry sauce' is. However, if you don't happen to be hip on Utah culture, you probably are unaware that fry sauce is a combination of mayonnaise and ketchup (because I guess french fries and plain ketchup aren't fattening enough?) and is readily available in most Utah fast food chains. In fact, fry sauce was offered in McDonald's restaurants in Utah up until 1999!

So, if you happen to wind up in Utah, (hey, you never know, it COULD happen!) stop in to one of the 11 Utah Sconecutters, and make sure you budget enough of your Weight Watchers points to try your very own scone sandwich and some of their fry sauce. It's a Utah tradition!

6 comments:

Angie Tieman said...

Oh, sure...now you tell me!! I'm mortified to admit we had to eat at a Carl's Jr. one night before the Awards Ceremony because there was NO place without an hour wait! When we saw there was a table reserved by the cashier lines for "police officer on duty", we knew it was gonna be bad...

Marcus and McKenzie said...

Lol. I'm pretty sure Nate said that out loud too. We were sitting on the couch watching tv, and it came out of nowhere. He wasn't very happy. I'm glad you had fun.

JenniSue said...

So I've lived in Utah for almost all of my life...and I've never had the pleasure of eating at a Sconecutters. We'll drive by one once in a while and say something like "I've heard that place is really good", but we never stop. I might just have to now, that dinner looked yummy!

This Place is a Disaster! said...

I can't say I'm a fan of the place. Or that I even ilke it! I think it is a little strange, the way they grate the cheese for a sandwich? But the fries are good and their shakes are averagely okay, not so much the sandwiches though . . .but that is where all of the warriors hang out, so you just went there no matter what! Just my opinion.

Michelle said...

Hi Natalie ~~ I just had to check out your blog when you commented on my sleep study post on SCS ~~ you always crack me up with your posts. Fry sauce ~~ my dh & ds would LOVE that!! I eat just mayo with my fries (no ketchup ~ yuck) but both of them ALWAYS combine the 2 into one ugly puke-orange mess. I wonder why the fry sauce is ONLY in Utah???

Oh, & that is one HUGE sandwich!! I bet *I* could eat the whole thing!!!

CntryMomma said...

Well, lookie there ... this Yankee learn something today; "fry sauce". ;o)