Saturday, September 20, 2008

Is it irony, or something else?

When discussing with friends the problems we've had with Thelma since her arrival at our house a month ago, I've had several people suggest I read Josh Grogan's book, Marley & Me - Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog.


Marley, like Thelma, is a rambunctious yellow lab, and the book humorously details the true account of the dog's wild antics. The book went on to be a New York Times #1 Bestseller and there is a movie currently in production starring Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston based upon it.

While visiting Vickie Lee last week during a playgroup, she pulled her copy of Marley & Me from the shelf and handed it to me to read. A self-proclaimed dog person, she recommended the book highly and shared some stories of crazy things the dogs she's knows have done.

I started reading, and snickered and empathized with parts of the book, wondering if perhaps Thelma is somehow a distant relative of Marley. (The resemblance in both appearance and behavior is remarkable!)

I was sitting outside on the back porch reading the book this afternoon (I'm only on page 83) , when Noah came out and asked for a drink. I wasn't gone long, but I left the book on the porch swing and forgot about it until I came back later to read more, and found this:


I then had to call my friend and explain that I now owe her a new copy of a book about a crazy, destructive dog, thanks to my own crazy, destructive dog.

Is that irony? I'm not sure. There's probably a better description of it.

Besides STUPIDITY.

(My own, for thinking we were even remotely 'ready' for a dog. How can anyone truly be ready for this?!) And why didn't I read Marley & Me before getting a dog in the first place?

I think Thelma may have claim to the title of 'The World's Worst Dog'. I'm not sure how we go about applying for that, or what kind of evidence is necessary, although the details and photos on this blog may just suffice.

8 comments:

Taylor Tree said...

lol!!
i missed you today. i was thinking about how much fun you must be having with your boys and dog...

Kayla said...

too funny! I always know I can come to your blog for my daily dose of laugh.

Vickie said...

Losing the book was worth the laugh I got in exchange :).

The Brock Family said...

You are a much better woman than me, because I would have gotten rid of that dog ages ago! Have Fun and Good Luck!

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

So, did you take a midnight trip to the nearest Walmart to pick up another book for your friend? What is the destruction total now? I'm glad that you haven't kicked her out the door yet.

Natalie said...

You know, I haven't made a list of the damage yet, but this week alone, it was the book, a pair of flip flops, and a large Pyrex casserole dish.

Melissa said...

Oh Natalie, I'm so sorry about your friends book (it's a great book by the way), but my goodness that is really so funny. I'm sure the author would get a real kick out of that picture and this post. You should definitely send it to him!

CntryMomma said...

I have Labradoodles; one is sweet, named Peaches, and lives in the house with us. The other is Bandit, and is VERY naughty and has been exiled to the garage. LOL I love Owen Wilson so I hope this movie is good!