Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A conversation with Noah


Noah started out by saying,
"There's something weird about the Wonder Pets I have to tell you,"
"Okay, what is it?"
I ask.

"Well," he goes on, "Every time they complete a mission...

(yes, those were his words, not mine)

...they have celery."


"Uh huh, and...?"

"Well, how do they EAT that stuff?" he asks with a disgusted look on his face.


So, anyone can deduce from this conversation that Noah:

a) likes the Wonder Pets



and,

b) dislikes celery.

And while I don't mind a little celery now and then, I agree, something yummy and chocolate sounds like a much better way to celebrate a hard earned victory.

But then, I'm not a guinea pig.

And my use of chocolate as a reward has definitely contributed to my long and expensive history with Weight Watchers.

Now, the celery thing kind of reminds me of Thanksgiving with Nate's family. For some reason, it's a tradition to have a platter of celery with peanut butter available.

On Thanksgiving.

Like the roasted turkey, real mashed potatoes with gravy, homeade stuffing and rolls, and pies made from scratch aren't enough.

It was Nate's uncle Darren who married into the family over 20 years ago who first pointed out the absurdity of the tradition by stating, "Celery with peanut butter has no place in a Thanksgiving dinner, and it's not even a good combination anyhow."

And I tend to agree.

But, like I said, I'm not a guinea pig.

7 comments:

JenniSue said...

If I'm not mistaken, the only reason we still do the peanut butter and celery is because of what Darren said. Something about keeping him a part of Thanksgiving every year, even when they can't be there. I could be wrong, but I don't think many people eat it, it's just there "because".

Natalie said...

A ha! So now it's a tradition, a token plate of celery with peanut butter, whether Darren is in attendance or not, just to commemorate the year he mocked the tradition in the first place?

Wow, that's weird.

So what's the deal with the green punch?

The Crazy Cat Lady said...

Green punch for Thanksgiving? What the heck?

Kara said...

Um yeah... I agree that celery is not to great! HA!

JenniSue said...

I'm afraid I don't know the story behind the green punch, but you've got me curious now.

Shanae said...

Maybe this year we can do something wild like celery and incredibly processed cheese...oh wait...we do that too :)

Kayla said...

maybe I need to eat a bit more like a guinie pig and maybe I wouldnt have my own weight issues:) unfortuatly I am simular to you and reward myself with somthing that is accually yummy like chocoate. opps! what a funny food tradition with the celery and peanut butter