Sunday, November 2, 2008

My first 5K

I'm not much of a runner, really.

(Try not to look so surprised, will you?)

In fact, one day, when I was in 9th grade, our gym teacher promised an "A" for the day to anyone who ran the entire mile and a half. Apparently, I really needed that "A", because I did it. I hyperventilated afterward, and practically threw up, but I did it.

And in the years since, I've dabbled a little in running. Although, what I do probably can't be considered 'running' exactly.

I shuffle.

Very, very slowly.

In fact, I prefer to 'run' at night or in the privacy of my home so I can't be seen and mocked by others. When I run during the day, I get a lot of strange looks.

And offers for help - because I must really look like I need it. I can practically see people in their cars dialing 911 to report a disoriented looking purple-faced woman lumbering around the neighborhood.

But, I set a goal to run a 5K, and today, in celebration of my 36th birthday, I did it.

My goal was to run the entire time, which I accomplished. Part of the way into it, just when I feeling wiped out and thinking I must be nearing the end, I saw the sign:

"Mile 1".

I actually turned to someone else and blurted out, "You gotta be KIDDING me!"

After that, I kept anticipating the Mile 2 and Mile 3 signs, but I never saw them which made the race feel like it was going to go on forever.

Finally, I rounded a corner and saw Nate and the kids cheering me on.

My finish time was 33:51.

Told you I was slow.

I swear, people with babies in strollers were passing me while chatting on their cell phones.

Okay, that may have been a bit of an exaggeration...but just about the cell phones.

The proceeds from today's race benefited the TGen Foundation for pancreatic cancer research.

And for your enjoyment, here is one of my favorite Seinfeld clips. It's the episode where Kramer is harassed for choosing not to wear a ribbon while participating in an AIDS benefit walk:





And I wore the ribbon.

14 comments:

Marcus and McKenzie said...

Congrats! Exactly how long is a 5k? I wouldn't be able to do it. I don't like running at all!

Tilleea said...

very impressive! I know how frustrating it is to be passed. Eleen passed me the other day. I too now choose to run on the treadmill. :)

Vickie said...

Way to go!

Beth said...

I am proud of you.

Lance said...

You rock. I did that once. Once.

Marcus and McKenzie said...

So, I feel like a total idiot. I was thinking yesterday that TODAY was the 2nd, and that you ran the day before your birthday, but then it hit me that it was your birthday YESTERDAY! So, Happy late Birthday!! Sorry it wasn't on time.

Kara said...

Good for you!!! Ya I can not run to save my life haha!

Taylor Tree said...

very cool! i think that time is good! you've inspired me to start running again (maybe)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Watts Family said...

You go girl. I think that is so awesome. And it feels so good once it is all over with.

McCleve Family said...

Good job! That is so awesome!!!

CntryMomma said...

Wow! I envy you ... I always wanted to "be" a runner, my body just had other plans.

I'm proud of you! What an accomplished!And a wonderful example to your children! That had to feel good seeing them cheer you on. =)

LORI

Liz said...

You are awesome. I see you running with your dog almost everyday and I just figured you did it to get the energy out of her. I am amazed.

JenniSue said...

You actually take Thelma out for a run everyday? You are super mom! Jasmine is lucky if she gets a real walk once a week.

Shanae said...

You are awesome...maybe someday I'll be as cool as you.