Wednesday, December 31, 2008

How about them lemons!

Yes, this is the time of year when we really enjoy living in Arizona. While many of my friends and family are battling the ice and snow, I'm enjoying the warm, sunny weather.

I even have lemons ripening on my tree:


Earlier this week, I enjoyed a tall glass of Diet Coke with freshly squeezed lemon plucked right from my tree! How cool is that?

Here are a few lemons that are hanging low to the ground. They're HUGE!

Why did we plant a lemon tree in our backyard? Well, mainly just because WE CAN! I'm glad there are only a few lemons this year, because I can't imagine what we'd do with a whole bunch of them, other than start up our own lemonade stand.

8 comments:

Janice said...

Oh, this made me miss Arizona. I love this time of year there. I love the smell of the orange trees too. Have fun with the lemons and enjoy AZ. The ice and the snow isn't to bad, it eventually goes away. Have a good New Years!!

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

I want a lemon tree and an avacado tree! But for now my backyard is still dirt. I envy for fresh lemons.

CntryMomma said...

Beautiful ... and that color of the sky ... Ohio hasn't look like then since I don't know when! *sigh*

LORI

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

Check my blog - and read the comments, you'll find some great tips!

Beth said...

I use a good recipe from allrecipes.com that uses fresh lemon zest. Check out the Dixie sugar cookies by Barb Johnson. Super easy and they have a nice, simple taste. Plus you don't roll them like normal sugar cookies, they are more like snickerdoodles. You are lucky you don't have to go buy a lemon every time.

Natalie said...

Actually, I had to buy lemons last week to make cheeseballs. Most of the lemons weren't ripe yet.

Which made me wonder - an orange is ripe when it turns orange, a lemon is ripe when it turns yellow, so how do you know when a lime is ripe?

Hm...

Oh, and I'll have to check out that sugar cookie recipe!

steffielu said...

Girl, you put Martha to shame. Growin' your own produce whilst staying outta the slammer. You have truly figured out how to multitask.

Katie J. Layton said...

Wow! I'm impressed! I love Arizona at this time of year too. I must be a true Arizona girl, because I love Arizona all year round.

I'm so happy that you are Kendra's teacher. It's hilarious because she comes home and talks about all the naughty boys. I know she thinks they are so funny and I'm sure she is laughing at them the whole time. Thanks for being her teacher. She has already talked about the things you are teaching her.