Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Scouts are weird


Having had no brothers, I'm just not that familiar with Boy Scouts. I remember in elementary school that some of the boys wore their blue Scout shirts on Wednesdays and they usually had some ugly hand painted plaster slide thingie that they wore.

A couple of years back, Nate was in charge of the 11-year-old scouts, (11 of them, no less!) that met at our house each week. After the boys left, I usually had to spend time Lysoling the funky boy smell out of the house and calming down my own boys who were completely and totally wound up, and right in time for bed, after witnessing such a testosterone tornado. But because it wasn't MY calling, I never really sat in during the meetings or listened much - my job was limited to refreshment duty.

Oh, and I distinctly remember rolling my eyes when Ben Lee, the other scout leader, informed me that the name Webelos is short for "We'll Be Loyal Scouts".

Come on.

So now that Zachary is 8, we've both been flung into this whole program. I always thought Nate would handle this stuff, but I realize now I need to know what's going on too. And I'm already beyond confused. Last week I attended my first ever pack meeting and witnessed an Order of the Arrow ceremony, which was ... um ... interesting?

I need to sit down and read the Cub Scout handbook because I still couldn't tell you the difference between a den, a pack, and a troop. And I'm starting to wonder if I ever will?

10 comments:

Tilleea said...

oh, just because of the last paragraph, I have a feeling that you will someday have a scout calling! ;-)

Tyler and Ericka said...

Hey how did you do the three column thing?

Raejean said...

I'm right there with you! My son started scouts about the same time and my hubby's very insistent that I'm involved and volunteer for everything. I've read the handbook, but I still feel lost. I need to observe the whole thing for a little bit and I think it'll come...hopefully!

Michelle said...

Ha!! Welcome to scouting!! My 10 yr old is a Webelo, & my kindergartener just signed up for next year so now I have to do it all over again. You'll learn as you go...I promise it's pretty painless & can even be fun sometimes, lol!!

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

Ya scouts is kinda complicated. I have 6 brothers - 4 have completed their Eagles and the other two are still young... I'm still confused about it. That's why I hope I have all girls, I totally get the YW program! :)

Your boys are cute. Love that page with all the pictures and funny faces. Super cute.

Beth said...

Good luck. I am clueless with Scouting as well. You figure it out and in 3 years I'll ask you all about it. :)

Erin Noel said...

I have been in Scouts twice now and it is one of my favorite callings. Maybe because I have 3 boys and the Lord knows I need it, but I love it and the boys are so funny and weird!

Vickie said...

What I don't get is why Ben was called to scouting, and three years later is still in scouts, when we have four girls. Maybe he needs time to be a boy? Maybe it's because he does know all the weird scouting facts and practically has every manual memorized. And he needs a place to tell his weird jokes about bodily functions where people with laugh instead of saying, "Gross, Dad". Whatever. He loves it.

The Frugal Nut said...

I love the new blog look. : ) Yeah, the whole scout thing scares me too. Good luck!

Lance said...

Well, just when you discover and learn the difference between a Den, a Pack and a Troop, you'll have to learn about Boy Scouts, then Varsity Scouts then Venturer Scouts.

Besides ward clerk, I have been in scouting or young men's since I was first married.

Good luck!!!