Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sorry I couldn't make dinner tonight, Honey...

There's a giant, hairy beast asleep in front of the stove.

Thelma has chosen a new nap location, and it's darn inconvenient. You'd think she'd pick somewhere more cushy and carpeted, but I suppose when it's this hot outside, sleeping on the nice cool tile must feel pretty nice. She's put on quite a bit of padding since we've had her, so I don't think she minds too much.

Come to think of it, she sure has a knack for finding inopportune spots to snooze. If I'm washing dishes, she likes to sneak over and lie down on the rug next to my feet, completely unnoticed. It's caused many near accidents as I trip over her, but I'm definitely improving my dish juggling skills. What a bonus, right? She also likes to sprawl out in front of doors, some of which swing inward and give her a good whack. But her most favorite spot of all is under the computer desk. There's no point in pushing the chair in anymore, she just scoots it out with her big body when she goes to lie down.

I know we went through quite a rough patch with this canine when she first arrived, but I'm happy to say she's turned out to be quite a sweet dog. There's something comforting about having her around, especially when Nate goes out of town. She puts up with the boys poking and prodding and never snaps back, actually choosing to follow them outside to keep watch over them. And while not exactly the best running partner, she IS always willing to go along.

And so I'll keep tripping over her, vacuuming up her enormous amounts of dog hair, and nudging her out of my way, because deep down, I really like "Princess Stinky Toots" and I'm glad we took the time to work through her little 'issues'.

I do still miss those brown boots of mine she chewed up though...

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Taiyo likes to sleep under the computer desk, too, but since he is about a tenth of the size, it isn't so much of an issue.
Glad the 'Thelmanator' has turned out so well for you :).

Beth said...

Ahh, who could not love her. She looks so cute lying there. Tommy likes to sit by my feet while I wash the dishes as well.

M&M said...

She is a very patient dog! She definitely likes you,.. can't say the same for Phoebe though. I love having a dog for when Marcus isn't home.