Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thank you, Sir, may I have another?

So, tonight I'm sitting down with Zachary and pleading with him for the millionth time to try to do his homework a little more neatly. I explained that he shouldn't be in such a hurry, and how it's important to do his best work... and blah blah blah...

(People tell me it's because he's a boy, and for the most part, boys just don't care about neatness as much as girls.

Is that really true or just a pathetic excuse for boys to get away with crummier handwriting?)

Anyhow, Zachary responds with:

"I know, but I don't want Dad to beat me."

"Er...what?" I asked, utterly confused.

"I don't want Dad to beat me."

Whoa, that doesn't sound right.

In an instant, my mind is racing to try to figure out what on earth he's talking about since we absolutely do not BEAT our children.

(I'm not saying there haven't been times when we've wanted to though...)

And then he tells me,

"I'm just trying to hurry and get it done so Dad doesn't beat me home from work."

Ah, THERE it is. He's trying to get his homework done before his dad comes home from work!

Whew!

Good. That makes a lot more sense and doesn't involve CPS knocking on our door.

Now I just need him to be around to explain this to his teacher at the next parent teacher conference should the subject come up, don't I?

5 comments:

JenniSue said...

Natalie you totally need to write a book about all the things your kids say. I would buy it in a heart beat so I could have a good laugh everyday. Your blog makes me smile every time I read it, thanks!!

Maureen said...

Always a hoot. Two boys and a girl here. A causal tour of any class room, names covered on papers, you can pick the girls from the boys with about 95% accuracy.

JulieA said...

LOL!!! Love the story. That's so funny. Just keep at it. Don't give up. (Or you could threaten him with having to do it over again if he doesn't do it neatly the first time! LOL)

Raejean said...

It think you hit on the real reason boys' handwriting is so messy. They are always racing to beat someone or to hurry and go play!

MamaBug said...

LOL! I love it.