Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!



Here's one of the valentines I ended up making for my kids to take to school this year. I waited until the very last minute as usual, because that's how I roll. I planned on starting earlier, but several weeks ago, an email was sent out to the parents stating that 'due to the current economic situation' (boy, isn't that getting old?) there would not be a Valentine's Day party held in the classrooms this year.

I almost wept.

Seriously.

While I'm sure there were some parents who jumped for joy at this news, Valentine's Day really is one of my favorite holidays and the idea of my kids not being able to pass out valentines at school just about broke my heart. I'm already lamenting the fact that soon my boys will be too old to willingly share valentines with their classmates.

To add insult to injury, I noticed the grocery store had drastically reduced the number of conversation hearts available this year, (where's the Necco brand?!) and those they did carry were completely FRUIT FLAVORED.

As IF!

Everyone knows that conversation hearts are supposed to be kind of chalky and taste like Pepto Bismol and cloves and other weird flavors you wouldn't purposefully eat any other time of year.

I was outraged.

And when I tried to express this frustration to my husband, thinking he'd understand, he just didn't get it.

Because he hates conversation hearts.

(((gasp!!)))

And I tried to point out that it didn't matter whether or not you like to eat conversation hearts, you just need to have the option. In fact, you can put them in a candy dish for decoration and then toss them in the trash after the holiday, for all I care, but they need to be there. They've been the iconic symbol of Valentine's Day for the last 100 years, for crying out loud!

I mean, I personally don't love Peeps, but I eat a couple on Easter anyhow, because that's what you do. And if they suddenly stopped making them, I'd be sad because they'd been a traditional part of my Easter since childhood.

Okay?!

(Nate probably thought I'd lost it for getting so worked up over something so trivial, but we've been married almost 14 years now, so he's learned it's best to just shut his mouth and nod his head and pretend to agree with me when I get that crazed look in my eyes...)

The lack of appropriate candy coupled with the valentine ban left me in a foul mood.

But then, a light appeared at the end of my gloomy tunnel. One of my son's teachers sent home a note stating that it would be okay to bring valentines in her class, and then a second note followed with the same message from my other son's teacher.

Hurray!

I grabbed my Big Shot and some stacks of card stock and churned out 60 of these little Build-a-Bears, then went to work stamping and glittering and tying ribbons.
And a holiday treat wouldn't be complete without my trusty printed and stamped Avery labels. (Nate ended up running to Wal-mart at 11:30 at night to pick some up for me for this project, sweetheart that he is. I so need to buy those things in bulk at Costco, don't I?)
These save us so much time and effort. Here's how I used them last year, and the year before.

And each valentine had a Blow Pop attached, which my son assured me was the best lollipop choice available. So, good call on my part.

The Valentines were deemed a success by my boys, and while no original Sweethearts ended up decorating my home, I discovered a new Valentine's Day tradition - Godiva truffles.


Mmmmmm...

Now, what was all that nonsense about conversation hearts again?

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Super cute Valentines, as usual. Where does one buy Godiva truffles? This sounds like something I must try...

Mark 'n Mindee West said...

I love reading your posts. You make me smile!

Raejean said...

I totally agree about the conversation hearts! What is with these fruit flavored ones? I was going to break down and buy some for the sake of tradition, then I smelled some and changed my mind!