Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Man, I'm bummed.

Remember how I was so excited that I reached my goal and ran 50 miles a month all last year?  Well, I've kept it up this year, at least until now.  For some reason, (um, laziness?) I just haven't been running much this month, and while I've been trying to make up for it the past few days, I'm realizing I may have my first injury.  My left hip is hurting.  It's not horrible, yet, but I'm not sure I want to make it any worse.  It started after the second 10K that I ran last month, and I noticed I've had hip pain off and on since then. 

I noticed it more during yesterday's run, and it kept hurting the rest of the day.   Nate had me ice it last night.  (Honestly, there's so much padding there, I'm not sure the cold actually got through to where it needed to go!)

Despite hobbling around like an old lady, I was still trying to figure out a way to reach my 50 miles for March.   As much as I don't want to give up,  I really don't want to do any permanent damage, you know?

I think I have such 'all or nothing' mentality, I'm afraid that if I skip a month I'll just wind up giving up all together.


So, yeah.  I'm bummed.

5 comments:

Mnm said...

Man! Sorry Natalie. I hope you get feeling better.

Raejean said...

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. It's not as cool and intense, but does walking help any?

Sarah said...

Oh, can I relate! I somehow screwed up my ankle while running recently. I don't know how I did it or even remember when. But now every time I run it starts hurting and swells up. I don't want to do permanent damage. But I'm afraid if I take time off to let it heal I'll lose any momentum I may have gained in my training for Ragnar. Sheesh. Sorry about your hip!

Nate Kennedy said...

How about I run the rest of the 50 for you? I think since we are married that should count when you are injured.

Mike and Becky Kennedy said...

Natalie, since I have been working at a physical therapy clinic, you should probably go to one. They can really help you with your hip pain and teach you ways to not injure it further so you can continue running. I never believed in all this physical therapy junk until they got rid of my headaches......I never associated headaches with physical therapy, but it worked! Check it out it might do you some good.