Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Better late than never...I guess.

I first checked this out from the library years ago after hearing how great it was.

It wasn't.

So, I only ended up  reading a few chapters before returning the book.

Soon it seemed like everyone I met was gushing over how AWESOME it was, so I figured it must get better further into the book, and checked it out again.

It didn't.

Then, seemingly everyone on earth was completely stoked over the fact that it was being turned into a movie and practically begged me to read it.

So, during a long flight layover two summers ago, I bought my very own copy of the book from the airport bookstore and tried to once again read what many considered to be 'the best book ever'.

A few more chapters into to it this time, and I realized...

it wasn't.

So after my trip, I put that book up on Craig's List and recouped some of the dough I'd shelled out for it.

Soon, everywhere I looked there were references to vampires.  People were siding with Team Jacob or Team Edward.  I learned who that pale, hairy guy is that everyone loved so much.

Once again, I dragged myself to the library to check out the dopey book everyone was now obsessed with.

I wasn't.

And once the movies made it into the theatre, I was invited to go see them with groups of girlfriends.  Turning them down because I didn't know anything about the series made me a real buzz kill.  I finally accepted the offer of my friend to borrow her DVD of the first book and watched what everyone on earth seemed to now be infatuated with.

I wasn't.

I went to see the second movie in the theater with those friends. And the third.  And I marveled that not just teen girls, but actual grown women were mesmerized by the whole thing.

I wasn't.

So, one last time I gritted my teeth, and with great determination (and about a million renewals!) I finally sucked it up and read the damn thing, finishing just this morning, actually.  I think I may qualify as the last person on earth to read the book.

And was it worth it?

Sorry, folks.  It wasn't.

12 comments:

Vickie said...

Here, here!
It shames me to admit that I read the entire series (while sick in bed). Though the story is ok, I got really tired of hearing about the color of Edward's eyes at any given moment. Seriously... you take out the description of how perfect he is and the book would be a paragraph long.
There are definitely much better books out there.
I'd rant more, but I want to keep my friends.
:)

Cindy said...

I must be the only person who has not read even one word of the book (though I think I saw it at the store once), OR saw any of the movie(s). Glad to know I'm not missing anything!

Sarah said...

Oh, Natalie...you made me laugh so hard!!!
I have read all the books and seen all the movies. (The books are better, in my opinion.) And I enjoyed them. But I certainly wouldn't say they were anywhere close to the best books ever written. Full disclosure, if asked, I would consider myself "Team Edward". But mostly that's because I have two teenage daughters who like to discuss it all...one of which who has pictures of Jacob all over her bedroom. :) Entertaining books, sure. At least for me. But not worth the obsessiveness that has come about because of them.
Anyhow...thank you, thank you for your honesty because it made my night. :)

Maureen said...

Like Vickie said, the whole series could be condensed into one medium length book. I will admit I read them all, but only because small children left me with the inability to focus on anything else...

Raejean said...

I'm with you Cindy, I haven't read any of the books or watched any of the movies. I was never into witchcraft, but I really like the Harry Potter series. I thought I'd get around to reading the Twilight series and see if the same thing happened with vampires, but the more I hear the less I want to read it. There are way too many books on my list to read!

dawna said...

Nah, Cindy... I'm in the same boat as you are... Sheesh!

Mike and Becky Kennedy said...

Don't worry Natalie...I haven't even had the desire to take a quick look at the book series. I did see the movie, 1&2, but had no desire to see the 3rd. I like you don't have a clue as to what everyone else is talking about. You aren't the only one. : ) Good effort on your part though!

Anonymous said...

I have not read the books either...
See the movies just to get out of the house and spend time with my kids to show them I am cool and can like what they like....Shhh dont tell them... Jill

Melissa said...

I was compelled to read the whole thing. I can't say it was the worst book I ever read. But once was plenty. I didn't dislike the movies, but won't own them. My 17 year old, loved the first 3 books. Hated with a passion the 4th book and couldn't finish it. And she has not seen the movies, not even once. So you have company in not understanding the whole team Edward/team Jacob thing. I'm glad to know I am not alone in it either! But I am a huge Harry Potter fan and people think that is strange too, so I say more power for enthusiasm as long as it is isn't judgmental and violent!

MamaBug said...

I did read the whole series and I thought they were fun, but I am certainly not an obsessed fan either. Though if I had to pick a team, I'd probably go Jacob. He's funny.

Tilleea said...

I know what you mean...I recently had the same experience with "the hunger games" series.

I kept reading them thinking "wow, this is really violent. and all the teenagers are reading these?" But I kept reading the stupid books because everyone said how wonderful they are.

Then after three books of the exact same junk, it just ended. And did I mention I had murderous dreams. Bad, bad books. I DONT reccomend them!

Jenafer said...

I'm with Sarah. I've read the books and enjoyed them well enough. I've also enjoyed the movies, but the obsessive thing is something I don't get. I guess I've just not the obsessive kind of person.